Dealing with Buying a Car

To: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dealing with Buying a Car
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:19:39 -0800
Hello fellow listers,

I'm looking for some feedback on how to proceed in the following
situation:

I contacted my local Mazda dealer to find out about the 2002 Miata
Special Edition.  I gave him my configuration, we negotiated a price on
this configuration in writing, and I put a deposit down on the car last
week.  Everything's hunky-dory right?  Wrong.

I got an email from him today saying his manager balked at the pricing
and increased it by $3000.  Needless to say, I was a little miffed.  I
sent an email back asking for his supervisor's name and number so I
could speak with him.  He sent me another email back stating that it
wouldn't do any good to speak with his manager, and that he'd mail me
back my deposit.  I told him to not send it back until I spoke with his
manager.

Well, folks, where do I take it from here?  I don't think going to
another dealership is an option, since this is a Limited Edition car,
they've probably already added on the price.  I don't know where I stand
from a legal position, having the agreed upon configuration and price on
paper, and them accepting and cashing my deposit check.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.  Thanks.

Greg Gowins
'69 Sprite
Dublin, CA