Re: Trucking (WAS: E-bay rant)

To: david@vermonthardwoods.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Trucking (WAS: E-bay rant)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:03:00 EST
In a message dated 03/11/2002 7:14:48 AM Mountain Standard Time,
david@vermonthardwoods.com writes:

>  As a business we are a relatively small user of LTL (that's Less
> than Truck Load, or common carrier) trucking, and have always got at least
> 35% off. We currently get between 51 and 55% discounts depending on which
> carrier we use.

It also matters how you classify the freight.  It it an automotive
engine...probably class 150, or is it scrap metal, class 50.

The classes are ranked by a combination of density, durability, and value.
Computers and light bulbs are on one end of scale, and anvils and cannon
balls are on the other end.

Of course, keep in mind that if the company loses the shipment or breaks it
in any way, if you have shipped it as "scrap metal" they will only pay a
claim for scrap metal.

So if you are buying a block to rebuild...go for the scrap metal rate.  You
will save a considerable amount.  If you are buying a complete engine from
Vizard...whole 'nuther story.

Robert Houston

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put
on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence."
-<A HREF="http://www.quoteland.com/author.asp?AUTHOR_ID=303";>Mahatma Gandhi</A>