Re: Speed bleedin'

To: adrian@workgroup.net
Subject: Re: Speed bleedin'
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:42:57 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Yes, there is an access panel.  However, you'll be lucky to get your hand
through it and be able to do anything.  While bleeding my clutch one late
night trying to get ready for a race I got fed up and doubled the size of
the hole with my trusty cut-off wheel.

In any case, you can't do it alone.  The clutch is notoriously difficult
to bleed since the clutch hose comes up at an angle away from the clutch
master cylinder.  Great place for air to gather.  I started with an empty
system and used a pumping oil can to pump the fluid up from the slave.
This seemed to help, but I still needed someone pumping the clutch pedal
with me opening and closing the valve to get it bled.

I haven't tried the speedbleeder, but I've never had much luck with
one-man devices on the MGs.  I've tried the Gunson and a Mity-Vac.  A
friend recently theorized that the bleed nipples on MGs are tapered and
therefore leak air around them as soon as you open them.  Don't know if
it is true, but I have found no substitute for a willing helper.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'74 MG Midget vintage racer