1275 Master and Slave

To: roterhed2@attbi.com
Subject: 1275 Master and Slave
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:21:11 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
I found out on Bugsy my '68 Sprite with a '66 1098
engine and a '68 tranny that both parts and pieces
need to match up. One is designed to work with the
other. I had someone on this list from over the pond,
who was using a Ford Tranny rather than the Datsun 5
Speed tell me about problems he was having using a
1275 Master with a 1098 Slave. The larger 1275 Master
provided too much fluid volume/thrust to the 1098
slave thus resulting in clutch arm( whatever you call
the lever the slave cylinder pushes against) actually
bending. He replaced 1098 Salve with 1275 ?slave and
all worked fine.

I did run into a problem with clearances with the 1275
Slave mounted on a '66 1098 Tranny. I needed to use
the grinder attachment with my air compressor to grind
a notch on the side of the bellhousing to allow the
1275 Slave to sit correctly on the 1098 bellhousing.
It was a 15-20 minute job to grind the notch but
getting that grinding attachment/cutoff tool for my
compressor turned out to be the best $29.95 I've ever
spent. Hope this helps.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH