Re: Isuzu Starter Conversion

To: ckotting@core.com, Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Isuzu Starter Conversion
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:48:31 -0800 (PST)
 You're right Chris, the cheaper one is not a gear reduction starter. My
compression ratio is 12:1 and the cheaper one spins it really good. And with a
Crane ignition and engine and tuning by Rivergate, it fires right up.
Definitely a bargain upgrade. It does require the same firewall mods though.
  ckotting@core.com wrote: I think the less expensive starter is a "straight
through" type. The
more expensive one is a "gear reduction" starter. If the Pup starter
works and fits easily, it might still be an upgrade from the Lucas
unit.

The gear reduction starter will spin the engine like mad, but there is
a clearance problem with the driver's side footwell. I'll be taking
measurements this weekend to see if there's a reasonably easy
solution.

Chris K.

> Which starter are you using? I bought one today for a 87 Isuzu Pup
with a 1.9L engine. They also have one for a 2.4L but the cost was
about $80 versus $28 for the one I got. It looks like it will fit and
I plan to try it on the race car tomorrow. Anyone else out there tried
the smaller engine starter?
> ckotting@core.com wrote: [demime could not interpret encoding
binary - treating as plain text]
> If any of you 1500 Midget owners out there have done the change-over
> to the Isuzu Trooper starter, let me know. After being nursed along
> for quite a while, my starter died this AM, and I have the Isuzu
unit
> handy.
>
> Chris Kotting

Tom and Sharon Shirley