Mike G is Stateside

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Mike G is Stateside
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:31:22 -0600
I met up with Mike Gigante yesterday. He's visiting Minneapolis/St
Paul from Oz. Too bad the nice weather he ordered didn't make it.
(COLD)  We did get in a short ride in an LBC though. At the Minnesota
MG Group spring kickoff, a friend of mine had his grey market Mini
Cooper (fuel injected) so we took it out for a bit of whirl. Pretty
nice, but Mike was amazed at the prices of Minis in North America. I
guess they are just used cars down under.

Then we went to visit Phil Ethier in St. Paul, a team-netter from way
back, and we did the garage tour (TR4, Europa.) The we discussed the
finer points of Autocross vs. Motorkhana - with video, and Mike
regaled us with stories of rallyes and race events down under. It was
fun and I picked up some useful tuning tips as well as discovering
that we both have wives who are marathon runners.

It was great to put a face with a name, and if anybody from the list
is ever in your area, be sure to link up if even just for a pint.
I've been on both end of trips like this and I definitely recommend
it.

Hopefully, his next trip will cooincide with an autocross, and I'll
have a running car at the time.

Phil Vanner
Mk1 Midget
Minneapolis