bugeye horror story

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: bugeye horror story
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 07:03:18 -0800
I just spent the evening at a friend's house sorting out the reason his
bugeye wouldn't start.  He just got it back from a local well-known British
car restoration/repair shop with a $6K tab for brake work, installation of a
Rivergate 5-sp, and some rather pointless and poorly done engine work.
Finding fuel in the bowls, and a 'wet' look to the removed spark plug, we
checked the ignition.  No spark, no surprise.

The shop had put in a new battery as a negative ground!  Of course the weak
spark that got him home has quit altogether now as the coil has failed.  The
'repaired' 948 motor now leaks oil with the best of them and the owner is
totally disillusioned and ready to sell.  I broke the news to him that he
won't recover $6K from an unrestored 948cc bugeye with a ratty interior and
a PO'ed engine bay even after he gets it running tonight on a new coil.  NOT
a happy camper.

For you Northern California LBC listmates, think twice about heading up 50
out of Sacramento for repairs. You know who I'm talking about.

When the pain subsides, there will soon be a fairly rust-free '59 bugeye for
sale here in Davis.  Originally blue, now white.  Has matching number
smoothcase that belongs in it.  Tach-drive generator, drums all around, hard
top, soft top, tonneau.  Not my thing, but a possible find for an
originality type.

I honestly don't know how folks that don't turn their own wrenches afford
this hobby.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye