getting tyred?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: getting tyred?
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 01:08:09 -0400
gang,
the tire discussion makes both good and fun reading.  cheap tires, expensive
tires, sticky tires or hard tires.  to some owners a good appearing tire to
fill a wheel opening is the reason of inquiry.  to others it's how long will
they last.  and yet others are interested in serious adhesion.   my input is
cheap tires are just that...cheap.   they rarely handle well and seemingly
last for ever.   while great handling tires are expensive and last a  season
(and evryone gripes about how much they cost vs. how few spins of the
odometer they got for their money).   tires are not just an item wich are
bought because of the sale brand size matches the car's reccomended  size.
tires must be matched to the available rim width and space in relation to
the suspension and coach work.  and the tires must be matched to the owner's
intended uses.   yup cheap is good but tends to lead to some poor handling
feedback from your favorite car.   please be carefull with the places you
chose to be thrifty.  tire choices are not a good place to do this.   a
properly chosen set of sneakers will give you more bang for your buck.  and
of course if you are doing serious restoration.....the joy of bias ply is
not much fun (from my own personal experiences), but a required evil you
need to contend with.
 nope!  i'm not reccomending any specific brands or sizes!  but i am
advising you be a well informed buyer.    i'm still running bfg comp t/a's
on my bugeye and shaved yoko's(avid h4 directional rotation) on my racing
'60 saab and good year blue streaks on my sports racer.  no specific brand
loylaty here.   i had to pick some due to restrictions in their aplications,
but satisfied  with what i have had to date.  go out and call tire rack and
put them to work with your requirements!  it's an 800 number and you might
be suprised with what you mightlearn.

chuck
darn! blistered my index finger!  off to bed again..........