RE: tire choice...or Come, Whore!

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: tire choice...or Come, Whore!
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 09:04:45 -0500
While looking to replace DOT-approved race tires on my MGB last summer, I
saw the Grassroots Mororsports tire test where the Kumho Victoracers came in
at the top of the heap after they figured out the optimal tire pressures to
use. This comparison pitted them against the "big guns" in the treaded race
tire market.   Bought a set to replace BFG R-1's and ran at Road America.
No complaints.  Nice handling, predictable, and decent in the rain if not
shaved. And cheap cheap cheap.  Worst part is the "Made in Korea" on the
side...but then I won't tell you what was on the side of my last set of
Dunlops (which proved to be shitty tires on my dailydriver  sedan)!  You
can't necessarily generalize from race tires to street tires, but the
engineering and quality seem to be there in one of their products anyway.
--JohnD

===================
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 13:54:19 -0500
From "Mueller, Robert CDR" <RMueller at grumobile.uscg.mil>
Subject: RE: tire choice

Glen,

The Porsche guys really like the Kumho's, say they are a very good
street/autocross tire for the price, wear well, stick good in both wet and
dry, and the belts don't come apart on hard breaking like some better known
tires (my Dunlops come to mind).  One idea put forth on that list is that
they are underpriced in an attempt to gain market share.  I have no idea how
they are in Spridget sizes, but they come highly recommended in the
225/50-16 size.  I'm going to give them a try on the big car.  Just a data
point.

Bob
'74 Midget
'90 944S2