Re: Fuel cap removal (help..!)

To: Robert.Haigney@anixter.com
Subject: Re: Fuel cap removal (help..!)
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 20:14:55 -0400
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Robert.Haigney@anixter.com wrote:

> I have a locking fuel cap on my 73 midget but I do not have a key, I've
> tried several different sized keys including another midget gas cap key,
> but I can't get the cap off, before I go call a locksmith, has anybody else
> had this problem and successfully got the cap off, cheaply or easily...?

Very large channel lock plyers will do it.
It's best to remove the filler neck from the tank and do it on the work
bench. Once you apply enough pressure to break off the locking tabs,
they will fall down into the tank. (Well some brands of locking caps do
anyway)
I remove several this way.
Also a hammer and large punch will knock out the key section, again,
don't try this with the filler on the car.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ