Still looking for some help and answers

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Still looking for some help and answers
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 15:49:24 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: thistle_3619@yahoo.com
Still looking for answers to a question I posed to the
list earlier this week.

Trying to trouble shoot problems with fuel gauge in
Bugsy my '68 Sprite. Here's what I know and I need
some help from the list.

P.O. tells me he changed fuel tank out and he believes
tank came from a '74 Midget. Bugsy sat for X? amount
of time with no gas in the tank.

Wiring from sender was disconnected back at the tank.
When I connected, gauge went immediately to full and
has not moved.

I do know there is a difference in output / resistance
/ voltage from fuel senders for '68 and earlier
Spridgets. A previous thread talked about the
differences/ voltages/resistance of the various
senders but I cannot locate the thread.

I have obtained a gauge from what was supposed to be a
'72 Midget. The gauge has a sticker reading 089 on the
back. Putting a meter across the terminals gives a
resistance of 62 ohms.

Can anyone tell me from this description / resistance
reading if this is indeed a correct fuel gauge from a
'72 Midget.

Also what should be the voltage output/resistance
reading I should find when I put a meter across the
wiring coming from the tank.

I'm trying to determine 1) If I've got the correct
fuel gauge and 2) if the sender unit is working
without dropping the fuel tank 7 3) trying to avoid
more bruised fingers, cut hands, sore back, and other
assorted sore areas from trying to stand on my head to
change out the fuel gauge in the dash. From what I can
see the fuel gauge in Bugsy doesn't have a nice
knurled knob on it and has a small make that very
small nut instead that I'm trying to figure out how to
get a wrench on to loosen. Did the factory ever use a
small nut instead of a knurled knob on the instruments
behind the dash?

Thanks to all for your help over the past months in
getting Bugsy running again.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com