Re: Can a worn ring gear be reversed?

To: "Tim L. Creger" <timlc@agr.state.ne.us>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Can a worn ring gear be reversed?
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 19:48:18 -0400
i have heard of it being done.  but!  the possibility of it not reshrinking
to securly grab the flywheel and coming loose down the road some time is
very real.  the sucess of the repair is dependant on the skill level of the
person doing the removal and reinstallation.
the best thing to do is install a new one now and never worry about that one
time you really need to go somewhere and try to start it and hear the sound
of the ring gear lodge itself up into the trans case.
that is a tough part to replace since you need to pull the engine to
replace.
also if the ring gear spins off it might under size the flywheel surface
wich it seats on and render the surface no longer viable to install another
ring gear.    then you are in need of a new flywheel!   (i have an aluminum
one damaged like that here....expensive conversation piece now!)  *sad*

chuck.