re: Rollbars and rollovers...and races

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Rollbars and rollovers...and races
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:46:33 -0700
The harness will defintiely keep you tucked under the rollbar instead of
flopped forward where all the breaking glass is happening.  A few years
back, the day before I was scheduled to go into the Univ of Michigan for
cancer surgery (and the day after my penultimate suspension tweeking
session), I inadvertantly rolled my "Works" Midget at GingerMan Raceway,
right there on the asphalt (and they said it couldn't be done!).  My wife
had agreed to accompany me to the track that weekend (only her second ever
visit) and was watching from the far end hillock at Turn 2.  Made quite an
impression on her.  To this day she maintains it was a death wish because I
was not "adequately dealing with my feelings."  (Could've fooled me-- I was
drinking enough!).  My thoughts as the slow motion played out:  "Oh
shit.....Oh sheeee-it!....This is gonna scratch my paint!"   Honest to God,
that was the thought.  I emerged completely unscathed except for a cut
finger where the windshield frame came down on the steering wheel. Thank you
rollbar and harness!  The race was called and places awarded based on last
lap timed.  I got second in class!  ....and the Thicko moniker "Blunt Head
Trauma" from none other than W.S. Thompson, Flounder and Chief Executive
Officer.

BTW:  The left rear fender, hood, and trunk lid were completely undamaged.
The hardtop needed some epoxy and fiberglass cloth.  I was able to
straighten the grille.  For some dumb reason, I rebuilt the car (instead of
starting all over on another) and raced that fall at the MG Feature Event at
the Vintage Grand Prix at the Glen.  If I get the new motor in, I may drive
to the "Valentine Party" spridget rally in Pennsylvania this summer. I have
since done a little more work on the suspension.

--JohnD

Date: Sat, 25 May 02 12:51:09 EDT
From conan at ralvm8.vnet.ibm.com
Subject: re: Rollbars and rollovers

>>Get a roll bar, get full harness belts a

  Just don't use full -race type- harness belts -without- a rollbar.
They'll hold you upright even when you need to duck!  (Normal, street
shoulder harness is fine.)
        Ed in NC