Re: distributor recurve results

To: <Flavin122500@cs.com>
Subject: Re: distributor recurve results
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:46:04 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Peter,

I agree with you.  The 15 of dizzy advance with the 7 of initial advance
give a total of 22.  This motor however is turbocharged.  After cracking the
crowns of two sets of pistons, I've lightened my foot a bit and gotten
conservative on the timing.  I'm too cheap to spring for the MSD
turbo-retard ignition system, so I settle for not adding advance that I
cannot remove when the boost kicks in.  Less than optimal, but no cracked
pistons.......yet.  If nothing explodes after a few weeks, I'll dial in a
bit more initial advance to give a total of 25 or so.  This has proved to be
a tough problem to solve cheaply.  Proper advance for normal use, but
magically retarding when boosting.  I've thought about a vacuum dizzy with
the vacuum hooked to a tap on the manifold post-turbo.  Then the 7deg of
vacuum advance would go away when the manifold pressure goes positive on
boost.  What do you think?

Thanks for the thoughts
Glen