Re: '63 Midget headaches...

To: Jim Eskue <jleskue@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: '63 Midget headaches...
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:40:10 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jim Eskue wrote:

> it started to drip oil from the bell housing on the trans, which then
> turned to alot more than just a drip, more like a flood.

Welcome to the list.
You problem sounds like all A series engines, it's not really a leak,
it's just marking it's territory ;)
These engines NEED positive crankcase ventilation.
I am not up on my 1098 blocks but the early ones had a draft tube, the
later ones had a PCV valve plumbed into the intake which worked better
then the draft tube.
The engines build up pressure and blow the oil out of what the Brits
call the rear seal which is a spiral cut in the metal and is "supposed"
to throw the oil back into the engine. Well it works on paper and one
one or 2 engines, not on most of them.
With the Wber intake, you can drill and tap holes to pipe in a PCV. I
have a Weber DCOE on a couple of my engines. One hole will not work, I
like a small hole on each tube of the intake. Thread in a 1/4" nipple
and draw from both tubes, it makes for a more even vacuum and keeps
carbby adjustments simple.
Suck the air out of the engine from the top of the valve cover, find a
$2 PCV valve to fit your hoses if you do not have the original PCV which
I doubt if the original SU intake is missing.

Good luck with it.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ