Re: transmission oil change - best method?

To: stevenm@optonline.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: transmission oil change - best method?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:43:33 EDT
In a message dated 6/17/02 11:29:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stevenm@optonline.net writes:

> .  I have read that it is possible (and easier) to add new oil by removing
> the shifter and pouring it in the hole that is (presumably) revealed.  Is
> this correct for the 1500's transmission?   And, if not there, where the
> heck IS that filler plug anyway?

Steve:

I understand that it is possible to add new oil through the shifter to the
1275 tranny, but not the 1500.  The oil fill plug is on the right (USA
Passenger) side of the tranny.  Get it up on jack stands, get under there
with a light and you will see it.  It is one of those square headed screws.
I bought a gallon of gear oil from Advance that had a pump installed in the
jug.  It is a fairly easy matter (given that getting TO it is not) to pump
the oil up and into the tranny.  Someday, when I have the time, I SWEAR I am
going to cut that hole through the tranny tunnel to enable access from the
passenger compartment.

--DAvid C.