Re: Texas v. Philadelphia NOW BBQ 0 LBC

To: "Matthew R. Lawrence" <mlawrence@datasys.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Texas v. Philadelphia NOW BBQ 0 LBC
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:06:52 -0600
I'll agree about the Shiner Bock and
> the Tex-Mex food, but how anyone can confuse that tough stringy horseflesh
> with Bar-B-Que is beyond me.  Everyone with any gastronomical sense KNOWS
that
> Bar-B-Que 1) is made from pork, 2) and comes with three types of sauces a)
> vinegar based from western NorthCarolina, b) tomato based from eastern NC
&
> Jawja or c) mustard based from South Carolina and finally 3) it aint from
> Texas.

Ahh...here is where the communication barrier begins I believe.  I have
found that most people east of the Mississippi and north of the Mason Dixon
(my southern background??)  Call anything with a sauce a BBQ.  Where in
Texas and Oklahoma and many other places it is a style of cooking ie...long
and slow say 200-225 over a nice wood such as Hickory or a classic Texas
wood Mesquite.  A truelly well smoked or BBQ as some would call it meat
needs NO sauce.  Although I do eat a little on the side (sauce that is).
You must have had a "tourist" BBQ, you have to get off the beaten path to
get the real thing.  Just ask Rick Fisk in Michigan, he has had the real
thing and is now a believer.