RE: copyright laws

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: copyright laws
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 23:05:55 -0700
Mark wrote:
"Personally I would politely contact the seller
and inform him that it is your car and that you dont want it to be
published. And politely ask them to remove it. If they do then no harm
no foul and no need to do anything further. If they dont, dont threaten,
dont say anthing just contact a lawyer and see what they say."

Excellent advice from Mark.

This copyright thing could be a can of worms....

My take on the situation is that if the photograph was lifted from a web
site (whether it has the copyright symbol or not), it is still the
photographer's property, and using it without permission, whether for profit
or not, is against the copyright laws. That's how the law currently stands
in the States, I believe- I am not sure about England.

I assume the website/car owner took the picture and is the same person? If
not, is it the car owner's property or the photographer's? If I have a photo
taken of my car at a show in the States, I understand the photographer has
the right to the photograph, not me as the owner of the car- I can use this
photo, but that does not give me the right to make multiple copies, and use
it to make Christmas cards for example, without his permission - right? On
the other hand, can a photographer take a photo of my car in a public place
and use it without my permission?

I don't believe there is a problem in publishing a photo with the number
plate visible- check the Sprites and Midget book by Anders Ditley Clausager-
plenty of Spridgets shown with British number plates you can easily read
there. Sure, the police blank out the plates, but that is a different
situation- they might show a similar car to one used in a crime, but that's
not "the one", or they need to "protect the innocent", etc.

I know I brought up more questions than I answered!... I hope there is a
solicitor/lawyer on this list who can shed more light on the subject.

Jacques Le Clainche
1959 "Bugeye" Sprite