leaking master cylinder

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: leaking master cylinder
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:05:58 -0400
This weekend I noticed that my brake fluid level was way down in my master
cylinder so I brought it to its proper level.  Concerned, I then began looking
for the leak.  I noticed that my brake pedal had some rusty liquid going down
it and dripping onto the rubber mat.  I took the cover to the pedal box off
and could not find and source for the fluid (I assume it is brake fluid but
when I tasted it, it didn't particularly taste like brake fluid)  I cannot
find a leak in the MC itself (it is a new replacement).  Is it possible for
the plunger that is pushed into the MC by the brake pedal to leak up under the
rubber boot that covers it?  That's the only place I can guess its coming
from.  By the way what is the thing that is just in front of the pedal box
going forward in the engine compartment?  This is on a 79 1500 Midget.
thanks

Matthew R. Lawrence