Re: 5000 miles in a Bugeye Wed, 07 Aug 2002 09:45:07 -0500

To: cantrall@wrcresearch.com (William Cantrall)
Subject: Re: 5000 miles in a Bugeye Wed, 07 Aug 2002 09:45:07 -0500
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:47:53 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Thank YOU, Bill.

Am putting the BBW info. "in the file".
for reference when the time comes.

Yes, air moves faster than liquid
as your foot goes down and the air
valve opens for acceleration.

Slower rate of opening allows a little
more "fuel to air" as engine accelerates
while a thinner oil allows the air valve
to open faster, allowing more "air to
fuel" under same engine demand.

"Balanced" by":
spring stiffness determines air valve opening at any given engine
"demand"
and is "matched" so that air valve reaches maximum travel in the "open"
position at engine's maximum rpm. If it's
fully open before that, mixture leans out
at towards top rpm. If spring is too stiff, the carb. never fully opens
for max airflow
and top end power and the entire application runs a little richer
throughout the entire curve below
that point in the rpm curve wherein the
air valve reached full travel.

The spring rate is important for racing or constantly driving around
with your foot
"in it". Otherwise, a red spring for the
average 1275 with anything less than Stage 3 tuning seems to be the
choice
with a BDL needle. But I'll look up the
difference in profiles between the BBW
and BDL and will probably start with the
leaner and work along from there.

Can't have too much information when
doing a conversion the first time around!

Thanx, again. C'ya and happy Spriting.

Cap'n. Bob
    '60 :{)