Re: Rear Springs

To: Allen Kramer <allenk@zdial.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Springs
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:10:23 -0500
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Allen Kramer wrote:

> I have a weak 1/4 elliptical spring on my Bugeye. Need advise on where to
> purchase replacement. Or could the spring be rebuilt? Where?

 It's usually cheaper to buy new.  The rebuilders around here are usually dump
truck weight quantity and have a tough time redoing things for a little car.  If
you need to ship them out for rearching and pay for shipping back, it would be
more feasible to buy new.  Some of the Moss dealers on this list can help you
out
and shipping is often free.

The usual suspects can help you out.  I've had some problems w/ Victoria British
in that the springs have come w/ too much arch or are too sturdy making a car
sit
high.  On the other hand, I got some from them recently for my big Healey and
they fit fine and look good.

I've always replaced springs in pairs.  While you're down there, it's a good
time
to check for rust in the spring boxes (it's there-just a matter of how much).
Check the shocks and shock links as well as the radius arm bushings.  I never
did
see how it made much sense to replace one component when all the rest of the
stuff is as old or older than the part you replace, budget considerations aside.

It will take you most of the day to do that all that stuff.  If you're smart,
you'll spend a couple of minutes w/ a good penetrating oil each day for several
days prior to starting the job.

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO