Re: Re:Re: vintage race tires alternative toHoosier Street TDs

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re:Re: vintage race tires alternative toHoosier Street TDs
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:25:04 -0700
I use an expensive, but otherwise most satisfactory alternative, the Avon
22.0x5.0 Formula Ford front tire.  Dunlop makes a similar tire (the
Monoposto spec tire), but the Avon is a little bit stickier.  The cost is
double that of the Hoosier Street TD ($180/tire), but it's worth a least a
sec a lap..  They last 4-8 weekends depending upon the abrasiveness of the
tracks your run on and the amount of track time you get.  They also are
directional and are fully treaded, if that is a requirement of your
sanctioning body.

If you have to stay with a 5" rim width, the Hoosiers TDs do crown a bit,
which lowers their efficiency.  They are also quite a bit heavier than
either the Dunlop or Avon FF fronts.  The Dunlops and Avons work fine on a
5" rim.

All that said, the Hoosier Vintage TD is probably the most cost effective
race tire for a Spridget (and it's a "70" series tire, for those that need
that ---har de har har).

Myles Winbigler
Mad Mollusk Racing.

\\\\\

> WST,
>
> I'd forgotten about the Hoosier Street TD.  You're right, that's the tire
I see on almost every vintage race spridget outside of my own region.

> Any opinion as to how they last (1/2 season, full season, 10 seasons)?
What do they cost?

> I like the way the Yokohamas grip, but they do tend to leave a lot of
rubber on the track for the next guy to use (or ball it up and throw it at
'em).  I used to run the Spec-Sprite tires, a Firestone street radial.  They
drifted quite a bit more and I miss the fun of that.  They would last a full
season and cost half of what the Yokohamas cost.  I don't miss the fact that
they would get greasy as hell 3/4 the way through a 20 minute race, though.