Unsprung Dizzy

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Unsprung Dizzy
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:50:33 -0400
Hey ALL,

We took the 74 for a long ride today.  On the way home it started missing
badly.  I checked the carbs, plugs and wires.  It was drawing fuel from both
carbs, but it was only firing on cylinders  3 and 4.   If I made a sharp
left hand turn the car would run on all 4 cylinders.

I wasn't carying any tools so I decided to limp it home.

Once home, I pulled the dist. cap and out fell the spring from the advance
unit.  There it was, lying on the ground all by itself.  It had separated
from the diaphram end of the advance.  I can't figure how the car ran at
all, with the spring off the advance unit there must be 30 or 40 (maybe
more) degrees of advance/retard.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Kevin V.