Re: summer bummer

To: "Geoff Branch" <gjbranch@attbi.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: summer bummer
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 10:01:15 -0400
as far as the rings go first off you need to remove the head and carefully
clean a piston top to see if there are any markings for oversize stamped on
the top of the piston.  the other choice is this!  if it is consuming lots
of oil i bet it's time for a rebore!  the cylinders are probably a bit
tapered.   in machinist terms that is an amount of wear you can not see but
must be measured by a machinist.   if a ridge exists at the top of the bore
, that must be removed at the very least .  this is so the new rings (if you
go that direction) do not  hit the little lip and break or crack the piston.
also if the ridge at the top of the cylinder is significant you will not be
able to push out the piston because it will hang up on it the rings on the
ridge.
you will at very least need bottom end bearings and that also is up to the
machinist to determine the condition of the crankshaft before you order any
parts!
so yer gonna need a complete set of gaskets, main and rod bearings, thrust
bearings, and rings (and possibly pistons) and an oil pump(and while it's
that far apart i'd replace the timing chain and gears too).
dismantle it all and have the machine shop examine the head and block for
the head gasket surfaces to be "true".  have the machinist determine the
state of your cylinder bores.  and next have the machinist determine the
state of your crankshaft.
and!  remember this!  cam lifters have a specific wear pattern specific to
each lobe on the cam! remove each lifter 1 at a time and label or number
them in order so you can reinstall them if you choose to reuse them as
opposed to buying a new cam and lifters!
hope i answered the question? and did not add to further confusion?
oh yeah!  if the head and block mating surfaces are true and not warped, any
quality head gasket wil lbe just fine!   do not labor over head gasket
materials.  "true mating surfaces" are far more importaint (and a proper
torque sequence)  than the gasket type.  expensive gaskets do not fix a
warped or distorted mating surface.
ok now i have really stuck my neck out here...

chuck.
the world's fastest shrinking sprite driver!
(sounds good to me!  lol!)    :)