Replacing the pinion gear in the steering rack

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Replacing the pinion gear in the steering rack
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:42:42 -0700 (PDT)
I finally finished pulling the Steering Rack from
Bugsy my '68 Sprite last night. I ran into a problem
however as the splined shaft that connects to the
pinch bolt is longer by more than 1/2 inch than the
splined shaft on the steering rack that I will be
installing. Fortunately the Pinion Gear with the
longer shaft is only $7-8 from VB instead of $60 or so
for the older style Pinion gear. I ordered a new one
and will have it Wednesday.

VB doesn't list any washers or spacers for the Pinion
Gear but the Moss Catalog does. I'm concerned about
opening up and replacing the Pinion Gear with one with
the proper shaft length. Moss lists a .003 and a .010
washer/ spacer as being N/A. How do I know which one
to use and in what circumstances.

I'm not sure what spacers are supposed to be used, and
particular tricks on replacing the Pinion Gear, etc.
Does anyone have a copy of a Spridget Maintenance
Manual that discusses replacing the Pinion Gear that
they could scan and e-mail to me. My concern is the
rack not being reassembled properly and than having
the rack lock up at the most inopportune moment. This
job does not sound like one that you can mess around
with and live to tell the tale later on.

The other question, the replacement rack is absolutely
tight with no wobble or play at all in the steering.
Is it possible to use this rack without changing the
Pinion Gear. I've heard the concerns about Pinch Bolts
coming loose, I don't want that to happen to me. I
bought a new Nylock BTW.

Bugsy's old rack BTW has some major slop in the
steering rack. This well could be the source of
vibration I'm getting at speeds above 55mph. I'll know
more once I get everything hooked back up and take
Bugsy for a test drive.

Thanks for the help in advance.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH