electrical and SUV imitation

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: electrical and SUV imitation
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:32:06 EDT
I'm removing the loom from the 75 in anticipation of body restoration and was
curious about a couple things:

1)  why do two wires come out of the speedometer "gearbox" deal under the
hood and go to the wire loom under the dash?  is this how my car knows to
glow the generator light anytime it's moving (just kidding)?  I took the dash
out so long ago I can't remember but I'm pretty sure my tach is electric so
this should be the speedo drive.

2)  what is the function of the black plastic box mounted to the firewall
under the dashboard that says "PEKTRON" or "PERKTON" or something on it?
it's filled with printed circuitry, which I know because mine has melted its
back side off for my viewing pleasure.  Is this some kind of ignition module
or the like?

PS Thanks for the good and relevant advice about body panels, a big help.

Ooops PPS.  In the Jim Tyler restoration book he says he put padding on his
garge floor and put the car on its side to replace the floors.  He has a dry
sense of humor but I think he's not kidding about this.  Has anyone tried it?
 pitfalls?  my car will be completely stripped and I'm interested in not
welding 4 inches above myself if it's really a viable option.  Any stories on
this would be appreciated.

Thanks, \

Mark M