Re: OSHIT impressions, 1500 tranny

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OSHIT impressions, 1500 tranny
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:41:49 EDT
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu writes:

> I am finally home after a tough weekend. the 5 speed is in and the
> borrowed engine runs pretty good. Drops the RPM about 1000 rpm on the
> highway. So I figure 65 ought to be about 3200 instead of 4200.
>
> For now I am bushed. I will yak at ya'll more on this tomorrow.

- - - - - - - - - - -

It was interesting figuring out the mods required to the bell housing and new
tranny, WITHOUT the correct instructions!  The instruction sheet was finally
e-mailed to chuck's computer, which he then printed in green ink.  (O-SHIT,
what fun we have!)

The insert in the bell housing that the tranny shaft fits thru has to be
enlarged to 27mm (or thereabouts).  So chuck started playing with his die
grinder.  He made the opening perfect with a small cylinder hone, then we
found out that it just had to be larger to fit over the new splines on the
tranny shaft, not perfectly round.

The bell housing has to have two new holes drilled in it, and an area for the
adapter had to be ground down a bit, and that was about it for bell housing
mods.  All in all, the tranny was probably the easiest part of the weekend.

Let's see, what other fun stuff happened on Saturday, while I was there?  A
grease fitting on the new driveshaft was broken and chuck didn't have the
correct size replacement.  Most of the bolts and nuts were put in the same
coffee can, so that must have been fun during reassembly.  (We may not be
organized, but we drink a lot of beer.)

After we removed the engine, we noticed that a bolt was missing from an
engine mount.  When we looked closer, one engine mount was cracked.  Mr.
chuck said to take it out and he would weld it up, but take out the other
one, just in case.  Guess what?  The other one was cracked as well!

I really think that Larry is VERY fortunate to have found all these problems
when he did.  We had the man-power, and between us all, we had the knowledge
to find these problems, and figure out the best way to deal with them.  Yes,
it really was an O-SHIT weekend, but eventually Larry will be happy again
with his Midget.

I think I will be having an OSHIT garage building weekend this fall at my
house.  I have a floor to replace and some windows to install.  Who's
available?!?!?

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget