Cupping Wear

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Cupping Wear
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 15:15:55 -0700
I now have almost 5000 miles on my restored stock Bugeye and I am going
to rotate the tires.  Upon inspection of the front tires, the outside
inch and a half or so is worn down and slightly cupped.  Is this normal
for the Bugeye?  Should I just rotate the tires more often?  When the
car was in the body shop for restoration the front frame rails were
found to be bent to the point that the bonnet locating pins would not go
in the hole at the end of the rails.  The body shop guy said he bent the
one that was bent back so all would line up.  I understand that the
front rail are bent in a specific way to create a 3 degree camber angle
on the front end.  Would straitening out the ends of the rails that
protrude in front of the radiator mess with this?  Or do I just have to
live with this kind of tire wear?
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite