Re: Perplexing rear axle problem

To: <esheffield@i-plus.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Perplexing rear axle problem
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:40:15 -0400
Methinks you and Jon are on the right track.  When we were looking at
the problem, we were so focused on the halfshaft that the hub didn't
occur to us to be the issue.  (Sound of self-inflicted dope slap)

I'll let you know after I look at the car again.

> Is the bearing fully seated in the hub? If not I can see how that
might set the hub "inward" a little and hence leave a gap between the
axle flange and the hub. Is the seal the only thing changed during the
job?

> Eddie
> 1971 Midget - "Bebop"
>
> >The Patient: a bone stock Frogeye
> >The Project: fix leaking nearside rear hub
> >The Problem:  The halfshaft will slide into the axle and after the
> >usual fiddling will engage the splines in the differential.  With
> >everything lined up, the halfshaft slides home with the
usual "thunk"