Good News... Bad News!

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Good News... Bad News!
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 15:37:13 -0400
The bad new is in... I took the 78 to a friend to get it tuned up. He found
that the #4 cylinder has low compression and the thrust washers are not near
tolerance. Didn't make my day for sure! I told him I'd come get it over the
weekend. I started thinking about just selling it and concentrating on the
Bugeye. Don't really want to get into another engine right now. But, this car
has the nicest body I've seen around here in a long time! No rust on it... The
floors are original and strong. The letters on the rockers are not even coming
loose!

So, I'm thinking "park it at my buddy's shop on the pike and it will be gone
in no time." I have sold several cars by parking them there with a good sign
on them. There are over a 100K cars that pass by it every day. Since I'm in
the car real reasonably, I stand to come out ahead too.

I'm driving down my street and see a neighbor out in his driveway. Stop to
chat for a few because his RB Midget has been sitting out lately. It has been
in the garage for a few years... When it first came into the daylight I was
thinking "Oh oh, he must be getting divorced because his motorcycle was
outside too!" Turns out he and his wife are moving to Indiana because their
son is going to Perdue. The tuition is 10K less for an in-state student so
they are now just over the border.

We talk about his MG and he considers selling it instead of moving it to a
storage facility. He asks how soon I can get it out of the driveway. I say
tomorrow. He says "take it" to which I inquire "how much?" He says "nuthin". I
say "that's a reasonable price" and "I'll take it!"

He said that it should start up with a new battery. He was driving it daily
until he got his truck. The brakes began leaking after he parked it. He
suspects a wheel cylinder. My son wanted a car to work on and I can guide him
along on this one. And, if I need an engine, well, there it is! If that would
be the case, I could help my boy rebuild the one out of the 78. So, I might
have to keep the 78 now after all...

Hope to drag it home in the morning.

Kent
1960 Bugeye