Re: dowel pins

To: "Gerard" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, "Spridgets-Autox.team" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: dowel pins
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:11:09 -0400
((NOTE: The original message is OLD))

Gerard,

I'm having trouble finding them, period. VB & Moss don't carry them.
MiniMania is out of stock. I've tried a place called Scarborough Fair in
Rhode Island - they don't carry them either.

One of our local auto parts has generic ones that are an inch long -
Spridget ones are about 11/16". As a last resort I'll consider grinding them
down to length.

Anyways, I was wondering if/where you ever got them? I need some in a hurry!

BTW, I purposely took mine out because the engine stand I was using didn't
have the necessary clearance with them in, and I didn't want the machine
shop to lose them. I wouldn't have need to worry about them getting lost, as
I had to ruin them to get them out!

Oh well.

Another BTW. There were some comments on this original thread about whether
these have a support or merely locating function. My original pins are
clearly mild steel (though solid) as I easily ruined them with a pair of
Vice-Grips using a rag to try and protect them. The dowel pins our local
shop has are hardened, as are the pins I got from VB that I thought were the
right ones, but turned out to be clutch pressure plate locating dowels.

<dnw>

'72 Midget
'98 Safari
'02 9-5 Wagon