Bugeye steering rack

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Bugeye steering rack
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 04:07:46 EDT
<PRE>Im restoring a 1960 bugeye sprite. Need some help with the steering rack
rebuild. Ive gotten the ball joint housings off the rack, but cant get the
housing apart to clean up/shim the ball joints. I dont have the special
factory tool. used a flat screwdriver to drive the ball joint flat areas
around to loosen from the rack. I bought these "lobster grip" vise grips in
hope that they can undo the ball housing but no luck yet. Heating hasnt
helped. Are these Left hand threads or something? Is there some trick? also
have tried soaking overnight in liquid wrench no help. Im at a loss for today
hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks-Josh