RE: Welding and engine/transmission choices

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Welding and engine/transmission choices
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 08:32:07 -0700
Spridgeteers,

I am dreaming of building a driver out of the Sprite Mk2 tub (with paperwork
for the title) and pile of parts I just acquired... I will need more parts-
of course, some of the stuff I need now I just got rid of a couple of months
ago!

Question 1: I need to learn welding... fast!... MIG easier and cheaper way
to go? Is this something I can learn on my own or should I go to a welding
class? Best place/model to buy MIG equipment in So Cal? I know this was a
fairly recent thread, but I paid no attention as I had no idea I would go
for this project car 8-(

Question 2: I have 1275cc for the car... but no transmission... Buy a 5
speed and conversion kit? Or buy Datsun engine/transmission, as recently
suggested?  I am after a fast and RELIABLE motor/tranny combo which fit
EASILY into the Sprite.

Question 3: Any chance of starting an O.S.H.I.T team in San Diego? Are there
enough interested Spridgeteers out there?... Assuming my project would be
the first one for the team - I have a big place and would supply any
volunteers with free beverages, good food, free use of my trailer,
whatever?... Brandon on the list already offered to help, and he is very
knowledgeable... but it would be great to have an O.S.H.I.T team started
right here in San Diego, and help each other as fellow Spridgeteers!

Jacques Le Clainche
1959 Bugeye racer
1962 Mk2 "Tub and parts"