Some Kids-Way OT- Longish

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Some Kids-Way OT- Longish
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 12:28:45 -0500
My daughter is a cheerleader for her high school football team, so I've been
going to the games. There used to be 14 or 15 schools in their conference
but now there are 8 or 9, due to many consolidations of districts, so her
school is now one of the smallest who fields a team. There are 3 of the top
10 rated teams in the state (in their class) in this conference and the kids
know they don't have a prayer of winning, so few of them even go out and
many drop out after the first game or two. Now, her bf is the starting
center for this team, who so far have lost all 3 games they've played, two
by at least 40 points. Tonight when he came over to take my daughter out, he
was covered in bruises from being manhandled by a huge defensive line. I was
sitting in a lawn chair having just gotten home from work and said to him
"You guys played a pretty good game last night", he hung his head and said
"No, we got massacred". I said "Hey, you scored twice on a team that will go
to state and maybe win, I think you did alright." He brightened up a little
and gave me a pretty defiant look for a kid about to take my  daughter out
and said "Yeah, and I'm not gonna quit."  I think he'll do.