Fw: Wire Wheels, Tubes and Tires

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Wire Wheels, Tubes and Tires
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 01:56:33 -0400
I don't care for wires on a driver but they are pretty if cared for. Check
for signs of rust around the nipples and on the blown tube. If spotted, fix
immediately! Also check the tension of each spoke. Use a piece of metal and
tap each spoke. They should make a musical note when they are at the proper
tension. A dull, thuddy kind of sound indicates a loose spoke. Tighten any
loose spokes carefully to match the tight ones. Overtighten and you will
pull the wheel out of round or off-center! The rubber band is supposed to
keep the nipples from chafing the inner-tube. If the outer row chafes, cover
the nipples with silicone and let it cure. You can check for true by setting
up a jig. I prefer to do them on the car to weed out other problems. You
just need to fabricate a fixture to hold a pointer close to the rim and spin
the wheel. Watch for variances as the wheel goes around. Flat spots and
off-center are easily seen this way.

Kent
1960 Bugeye
1978 Midget "Drippy" (How's that for a name?)
1976 Midget "Boneyard" (Seeing the future)

There is a band around the inner surface of the wheel, but of course it does
not do
anything about that outer row of spokes.  Anything I should be doing along
the way "as long as I have it apart"? What is the current wisdom about
putting tubes and tires on wire wheels?
TIA
David Lieb