Re: '73 Midget doors for sale in Cleveland Ohio

To: geopro@toycar.net, spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '73 Midget doors for sale in Cleveland Ohio
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:35:51 EDT
In a message dated 09/19/2002 10:30:00 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
geopro@toycar.net writes:

> They're too big to UPS but I can set 'em on a bubble wrap cushion,
> strap 'em to a pallet no charge and have 'em ready for your shipping
> company
> to pick up.
>
> $100. each or $150. for the pair.

George,

I would suggest you:

1. charge a little more and build a 2x4 and plywood box on top of the pallet
to protect the door.

2. print and paste "TOP FREIGHT ONLY" all over the box.

Not trying to queer your deal here, just making a suggestion.  Also, if an
LTL (less than truck load) shipping company picks this up...they will ask for
a classification.  If you classify them as "auto parts" the freight rate will
probably triple the price of the doors.  If you classify them as "scrap
metal" the frieght rate will be less...HOWEVER....if they are damaged or
lost...the freight company will only pay a claim for "scrap metal".

I'd rethink the UPS...or my preference FedEx Ground.  If you will take the
vent windows and mirrors off, and crank down the windows...the doors will
ship in bubble wrap and a box...or a plywood crate.  Ship the vent windows
and mirrors separately, or flat against the door in the box.

Just my opinion, but I could be wrong.

Robert B. Houston

Santa Teresa, NM
'74 Midget
'63 TR4
'03 Beetle

...   Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick
  themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."

  - Winston Churchill