Getting under the car/oil changes/pan gaskets

To: "Kent J. Miller" <Bushwacker4@prodigy.net>
Subject: Getting under the car/oil changes/pan gaskets
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 07:49:48 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Oh yuck!!! Had my first experience changing the oil in
Bugsy last night What a PITA and messy job. I kept
putting this off as I knew it was going to be bad.
Didn't realize just how bad and messy it is. Next time
spin on oil filter adapter for me. Discovered some
really nice crud buildup in the filter. Took half a
can of brake and parts cleaner to get all of the
sediment out. Thread on filter housing of course was
messed up, needed to run a tap in there and carefully
clean out metal parts. Hope I got them all out. Used
lots of Q-Tips in an area I can't see. Oil everywhere
of course. Got all back together and now find that at
idle oil pressure has risen from 25-30 lbs to 60 lbs.
70 lbs at higher revs. Also while I was under there
tightened all of the oil pan bolts. Each and every one
needed at least 1/2 to a full turn to tighten or more.
Possibly this will help to slow down the puddles that
follow Bugsy wherever he goes.

Anyone changed the pan gasket with the engine in the
car? Looks like it could be done. Does it really cure
a leaky engine? Your thoughts.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH
http://sbc.yahoo.com