RE: Phantom grip

To: "Tom Speed" <tspeed@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Phantom grip
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:58:35 -0700
Cc: "Spridget List" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Spridgeteers,

OK, Tom Speed convinced me to try after all...  I have a spare diff I'll use
for that. By the way, I examined the plates closely and saw the springs
inside.

Jacques Le Clainche

Tom Speed wrote:

Spridget Owners:
        In 1989 I stopped racing my F Production Midget after winning the SE
Division for three years in a row. I started racing a Nissan Pulsar in GT4.
The Pulsar was front wheel drive. At the time, my only choice was to run it
with an open  differential or a welded differential. No one made a LSD. The
open differential caused tons of wheel spin so I welded it as my only
option. I raced that way for three years. The steering effort to drive a
200hp FWD car with a welded diff was enormous. After a 30 minute race, my
forearms burned for hours! I was forced to consider having Quaiffe build a
one off LSD for my car. They quoted $5,400.00 and I was ready to spend that
or give up my program. About this time I saw  an ad for custom LSDs by a
company called CRE in Massachusetts. I called them and they said "Sure, we
can do that" and quoted me $350 per differential. I sent one to them and it
came back with a device similar to what Bill Perry is selling. I installed
it in my Pulsar and it was like I had power steering! I ran those in my FWD
Pulsar for 6 years without any further problem. They did not require further
adjustment or service. They just work. The fact that it looks simple has
nothing to do with the time and effort spent designing the multiple little
springs inside those plates. I was first in line to buy two...one for our
3.9 and one for our 4.22