Found and bought a Datsun

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Found and bought a Datsun
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 21:25:07 EDT
Well I finally found one.  A lonely little old wrecked 1981 Datsun sitting in
a wrecker yard.  I checked it out pretty well--there are no insignia
designating whether it is a 210 or whatever, just an "SL" on the boot lid.
But it does have the 80 hp A15 engine and I am supposing a 5 speed tranny.
Not real sure about that as the pattern was worn off the gearshift knob and
the gearshift was so sloppy I couldn't tell whether it had a 5th gear or not.
 My guru mechanic said that was just a bolt that was loose causing the
floppiness.  I got the whole car for $100, and plan to overhaul the engine
(199,000 miles) and drop both the engine and tranny into my headless '79
Midget.   That should give me a tremendous lot of power.  I plan to either
fit the DVG Weber or fabricate an intake manifold to fit the HS4 carbs I have
for the 1500.  Of course if I can find a 1500 head somewhere I would love to
continue driving it while I am working on the Datsun engine.

I will then sell the 1500 engine, tranny, and fittings, including the Weber
DVG manifold and/or the DVG.

Anyway, thought I would share this with the groups.  Any suggestions from
those who have BTDT would be appreciated.  All this could change as I
disassemble the engine and see what its condition really is.  It is not
frozen.

--David C.