Fwd: Moto-Lita steering boss problem

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fwd: Moto-Lita steering boss problem
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 23:24:24 -0400
From Daniel1312 at aol.com <Daniel1312@aol.com>
To: w.gilroy@verizon.net
Date: Monday, September 30, 2002, 12:23:44 PM
Subject: Moto-Lita steering boss problem

I am forwarding this to the list for Daniel.  If anyone has any
answers or parts for him, contact him at Daniel1312@aol.com If you
post to the list I will forward the message to Daniel.

Thanks.

Hi Bill,

Can you be a buddy and post this to the list for me?

Recently I purchased a s/h Moto-lita steering wheel in a flat 13" size with
leather rim planning to swap it for the wood rim item on the car.  It arrived
ok (an e-bay purchase) but had a centre for a small boss (the boss is for a
Vauxhall Viva).

I recall someone else had this problem on the list a while back hence this
post.

I contacted Moto-Lita and while they will produce a one off boss at a price
such that you would simply buy a new wheel and boss I did wheedle some useful
information out of them.

1.  They have a special non-standard Triumph Herald or similar boss for this
very purpose, a close match and cheaper than junking the wheel and starting
afresh.

2.  With a shortened steering column like mine I have to have the rear of the
boss machined back so the mismatch will end up in the scrap bin so I'm onto a
winner.  For anyone else I can't be sure how bad the mismatch is but I don't
think it is too bad.

3.  There is a Triumph or A-H early type horn push that will fit the
Moto-Lita boss (guess what I need to buy one).

4.  The small boss fitting wheels are around 30 years old!!! (Period
modification!).

5.  I'm keeping my old wood rim and boss but might have some Johnny Lightning
cars to sell because funds are real low right now.

If anyone is interested or can remember who had the moto-lita wheel with an
unobtainable boss they might want to contact me and I will let them know how
things worked out and in due course send photos.

Finally, YES I did feel our British earthquake last week and woke up to find
the whole house shaking - a 4.8 Richter.

Regards

Daniel

Best regards,
 Bill                            mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net