More tranny questions - a little long

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: More tranny questions - a little long
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:02:35 -0400
Thanks to everyone who responded to my call for a tranny. Got several offers
I'm considering.

Also several of you mentioned doing a rebuild. I've considered that, and may
still decide to go that way. I don't have any problems about doing it myself,
but let me tell you what I'm looking at so far and you all tell me what you
think I should do.

I really don't know what "vintage" the trans is that is in the car. I'm pretty
sure it isn't original unless they came from the factory painted white with
"$100" marked on the bellhousing in red paint! But it's VERY loud in 1st and
reverse - much more so than others I've compared it to. Other gears aren't too
bad. Synchros may be bad too, but clutch isn't too hot so hard to tell if it's
just clutch or synchros too. Either way I suspect the gears probably won't look
too good when I get a look at them. So I expect that rebuilding it may be more
than just a "standard" rebuild kit. Is that a reasonable guess?

I also have a trans out of a '67. I know it worked when the car was parked due
to a clutch failure 20 years ago, but I don't know how well it worked. I
thought I would rebuild it and put it in, but the first gear teeth on the
laygear look a little worn. I would replace it, but the only one that is
available new is a 12G1100 and the one in the trans is 12G132 (I think -
something close to that) and as I understand it you can't mix and match gear
sets, so to rebuild it with a new laygear I would need to replace the laygear,
1st, 2nd, 3rd, and reverse idler, plus the regular rebuild stuff. That's
getting up around $500+ and the economy of a self rebuild pretty much
disappears.

If I can take a decent digital photo of the laygear I have, is anyone with more
experience with these things willing to let me send it to them to see if it
really does need replacing? Or does anyone have a good laygear of the correct
model they would part with?

Maybe the best thing would be to wait a little while longer until I've pulled
the trans thats in it and then decide.

Comments?

Thanks! I really appreciate all the help!

Eddie
1971 Midget "Bebop"