Re: Hardtop Color & 1098 Engine

To: Doug & Sheryl Altman <altman_d_s@hotmail.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hardtop Color & 1098 Engine
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 08:01:05 -0700
The 1098 was actually a good engine, with a long stroke, which meant
danger at high rpm, but it had excellent torque and pulling power.  If
you unbolt the head (unbolting and pulling off the rocker shaft first),
and remove the head (it may take judicious application of an old wood
chisel to pry it loose), you will be able to take the head to your local
machine shop for appraisal (usually at a very reasonable cost).  If the
cylinder walls are not totally rusted, you can take a small sledge
hammer  and tap the piston tops with the wooden handle end (hard!) to
try to free things up.  Then you will have an excellent idea of what you
were given, since you can look at the cylinder walls for scoring or
really bad wear (can you hook a fingernail at the top of the cylinder
wall?).  The 1098 would make an excellent spare, or even first engine
for your bugeye, and is pretty inexpensive to rebuild with good parts
availability,  Take care, Bill McLeod, Slightly Classics, Tucson