Fw: Hardening Axles

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Hardening Axles
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 01:24:54 -0400
Any good machine shop such as a tool and die shop can point you in the
direction of a facility to harden the axles...

BUT, from what I know of hardened steel you really don't want to waste your
money having a used axle hardened!!! The metal has already been stressed and
therefore has lost some of its inherent strength. An easy analogy is this:
Take a small to medium sized egg and throw it up into the air so that it
lands in tall grass. It will bounce and not break. However, if you try it a
second time it will break because the tensile strength has been damaged.

The hardening process will work best on an unstressed piece of metal whose
tensile strength has not been damaged.

Kent
1960 Bugeye
1978 Midget "Drippy" (How's that for a name?)
1976 Midget "Boneyard" (Seeing the future)