Re: hard top

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hard top
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:02:57 EDT
In a message dated 10/24/02 11:30:03 PM, BCAH@aol.com writes:

<< I just purchased a hard top for a Bugeye which, considering its age, does
not
look half bad. The shell shows no damage and the back glass is fine but the
rubber is shot. Was there originally any kind of insulation inside or was it
just an empty shell? Any sources for new seals/hardware? I have no experience
with fiberglass,----any do's or don't's to keep in mind when refinishing?

Ours was a factory hard top, and we had no plans for a concours car.  Having
said that, we purchased the rubber and windlace from J. C. Whitney--just
chose the type that looked like the original and the color that looked good
with the top.  Nothing was done with the inside of the shell.  We had the
outside painted to match the car, and eventually painted the inside ourseives
with white latex wall paint.  The best looking application I've seen on the
indide was spatter paint, used in various crafts.  I once had big plans to do
a headliner, but it now seems like a lot of work for a hardtop that we almost
never use.  As far as the hardware, I can't even suggest a source--best bet
is to clean up and repair what you have.  There aren't very many hardtops
around, so parts for them aren't a big ticket item.

I wouldn't even think about painting fiberglass, but then I probably wouldn't
think about painting sheet metal either.  Both do require a learning curve,
and I plan to leave my car to the professionals.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"
2000 Miata SE Mahogany "The Miata"
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "The Heep"
1991 Lazy Daze (Ford) "The Motorhome"