Re: more.....Re: [midgetsprite] It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiive!!!!!! ;-)

To: Midget/Sprite <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: more.....Re: [midgetsprite] It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiive!!!!!! ;-)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 19:08:00 -0800 (PST)
--- Frank Clarici <spritenut@exit109.com> wrote:
> Paul Archibald wrote:
>
> > problem is the dist keeps popping outa the clamp
>
> Try a wrap of electric tape around the base of the dizzy.
> Or remove the clamp and beat it back into shape with a
> hammer.
I already took off the clamp and straightened it when I
switched the engines...but that was when I found the dist
was cracked there. I really do not see any need for an
o-ring under there, and most distributors no longer even
have them anyway, so I'll clean it up good, and fill in
behind and  above where is is squished/cracked and make it
as good
as I can(wondering if I should actually take it off, weld
teh aluminum and spin the housing in the lathe?  I'll look
for another dist and do that later I think.)

> > the heater valve on the rear of the head is leaking
> > water(didn't ahve coolant in the garage)so will take it
> off
> > and re-pack and see if that helps...gota get
> packing...who
> > had the comment on plumbers packing?  ;-)
> A garden hose washer on the bottom of the brass
> valve/alum plate
> and an "O" ring inside the stem, any hardware store will
> have the O
> ring.
I have all sorts of o-rings up to 800mm. so that is no
problem, but you say a hose washer? I need to take it apart
and look! I thought it was smaller than a hose-end! It
looks like the brass valve was soldered in after threading
into teh al plate? and it's a little loose...I'll take it
back off again and see...so it's just an o-ring up there?
not the leather packing?

> > even with disc brakes, they don't stop as well as I'd
> expect.
>
> Rusty rotors may need 50 miles or so to clean them up. It
> will stop
> better after a few miles.
Yup! I tighened the dist clamp down tighter, and drove a
couple miles to a gas station, filled the tank(4.2 gallons)
and than we took it onto the Freeway!  ;-0 the speedo is
not working, so i have no idea how slow we were
going(probably 55!) but it's purty "interesting" to see a
huge semi from that low coming up in the rear mirror!  ;-0
he shanged lases before I swerved off the sholder.  ;-0 I
than took it around a couple fast corners, up into the
hills and realized it's pretty gutless up hill, need to
work on the tune-up, I had to shift down a couple times,
and was going pretty slow, but it was a steepish
hill...hmmmmm!
...and now the brakes work muuuch better already!  ;-)
tomorrow morning I'll be looking at a replacement boot and
bonnet at the junk-yard off a 1500 midget, maybe also teh
fenders if I can get a good deal!
Will these bolt straight on???? or is there a difference I
am not aware of? I noticed the modern hinges only use two
holes, and the other two do NOT have nuts behind, so
that'll be a project to remidy, the hood prop is on the
right instead of the left, but the boot looks like it's
pretty much the same, just different prop mechanism.
What about the front fenders?
If I get all this, I'll also cut out the front apron as
it's already set up for an oil cooler, and maybe even take
the rear apron as mine has been bondo'd and hte boot just
doesn't match right....wonder what they would take for all
that?  ;-) I guess I'll ahve to pass up on the saab turbo I
wanted to get to match the intercooler I picked up there
last week...  ;-( I want to set up my mercruiser 140 in my
land-rover as a turbo!)  ;-0 Hope it's still there when i
have the $$ later
Paul