it's driving so on to the bodywork...

To: Midget/Sprite <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: it's driving so on to the bodywork...
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 00:58:56 -0800 (PST)
now that the '63 midget is a driver again... I decided to
remove the bumpers as I like the bumperless look better.
Much better now.  ;-)
I have to continue on my bodywork. I had spilled paint
stripper on teh hood to get through all the paint to where
it was cracked down to teh steel....all ten-fifteen layers!
 ;-0 and while doing this accidently managed to drip on the
left fender, so decided to take that down to steel at same
time...prolly do the right as well in a few days when
there's time. I have so far discovered a little bondo, but
not that bad. the rear bottom of the left fender had
seperated from where it's folded over at the door post, so
it needs to come off to get welded... while doing the
stripping, sanding/grinding off of the poundage of paint, I
remembered the 74? or so white midget in the junkyard, and
sped off to grab a nice set of fenders, hood and trunk-lid
with only the origional one layer of paint to deal
with...now there was a secondary reason for this as I have
been ahving evil thoughts of removing the front signal
protrusions from the fenders, and install teh bee-hive
style like the bugeye or mga. I remembered teh parts car
had flat areas instead of raised with a large hole where
teh older ones were raised, so all I need to do is weld in
a patch over teh hole.  ;-) have a look at my photos(URL
below) to see what they look like.....and teh previous
owner had the same idea, but had simply rivited in aluminum
panels to do the same thing. I will finish it off is steel
w/o bondo if I can help it!  ;-) need to work on my welding
skills first.
...and get a set of those round signals....shouldn't have
given the new ones away last year.  ;-(

oh! the photos of the midget are at:

Paul