1098 Midget engine - do they all smell this bad?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[473BBFD0:01C283E6] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id gA49h56D010037
Subject: 1098 Midget engine - do they all smell this bad?
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:41:03 +0100
Good Morning Listers,

Some two years behind schedule my 1098 "bag of bits" project car is now quite
scruffy but running,

It's quite a reluctant starter, needing lots of choke,  and I am working my way
through its list of problems.

Right now the biggest problems relate to its poor running.

Factors possibly affecting its poor running:

On the ignition side, the distributor springs are probably quite worn (you
don't feel much resistance when you rotate the distributor shaft)  and I'm
trying to get it to run for long enough to check the timing properly.

On the fuel side, there is a weep  from the carb nearest the radiator with no
obvious source - I've replaced the needle valves and jets in both carbs.

There used to be an oil  leak from cylinder block covers but this was remedied
with new cork gaskets.  This leak generated lots of smell until it was fixed as
oil was being sprayed directly onto the exhaust manifold.

My questions are:

(i) It stinks ! The exhaust smell is one thing but I think that some of the
fumes are also coming from the engine itself. There is no visible  source for
the smell of fuel/oil.  What are the most likely culprits?   Do SU's normally
weep a little?  So Midgets normally smell this bad?

(ii) The reluctance to idle could be due to a vacuum leak.  What are the best
ways to detect vacuum leaks in the manifold and carbs?

(iii) The new clips and fuel hose linking both carbs are brand new Moss items
but the hose still seems a bit loose even though the clip is fully tightened.
Is this usual?

Thanks in advance,

Louis Mehr,
Lancashire