Next question: SU Adjustment

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Next question: SU Adjustment
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 16:35:28 -0800
Hello,

Ok - rebuild kit on both su's (hs2's) complete.  The front carb had a bent
needle(which perhaps explains some of the trouble you were having with it,
Gerard?).  Replaced needles on both carbs. Installed on car. Found SU
adjustment instructions on 'net (the very common Garnett instructions that
pop up on a google search).  I have to admit, I've never adjusted SU's
before, only dealt with a single stromberg on my previous cars... So bear
with me please! =)

Choke is disconnected and adjustment screws completely backed off.

Initial needle seat  adjusted to flush. Car tried to start but would die
quickly. Backed off on the mixture nuts a turn and a half roughly and now
car starts right up. But the damned thing idles REALLY BLOODY HIGH -doesn't
matter what I do with the idle adjustment screws.. it only idles high and
higher (about 1800 rpm). I've completly backed off the idle adjustment
screws and it still idles high!  Now, weird thing is that sometimes, after a
rev (which it does very smoothly now) it drops low, but then picks up again.
Changing mixture adjustment does not have immediate impact on idle, which
screwed me up over and over again as I found myself going 1, 2, 3 turns with
no change and then it suddenly it runs like crap, ready to die....

Anyone have a sure fire method to get these guys tuned and balanced  enough
to get it running reasonably well without a uni-syn(or any other special
tools )?

Any links, direction or personal perils appreciated

Will