Re:Red Line Oil for tranny

To: esheffield@i-plus.net
Subject: Re:Red Line Oil for tranny
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:32:58 GMT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Eddie,

I use Redline MTL in my Midget vintage racer.  I haven't used anything else, so
I can't really compare to straight motor oil.

However, I also have an early Jaguar E-Type.  The early ones were notorious for
their non-synchro first gear Moss boxes.  The synchros on the higher gears are
slllooowww.  You have to count to two between gear changes so you don't graunch
'em.  Guys over on the E-Type list have said changing to MTL really helps the
synchros speed up and quiets the box down.  Motor oil is pretty thick, while
synthetics are not and I suppose the extra slip of the synthetic also helps the
noise.  They also say that the difference is noticeable right away and gets
even better with time.  I haven't tried this myself, yet, but it is on my list
of things to do.

It was a real eye-opener to me when I changed from Castrol 20W-50 in my Midget
vintage racer to a full synthetic oil (Mobil 1).  Castrol would fill up the
rocker box while it drained down through the engine as I poured it in.  The
Mobil 1 almost fell out of the bottle in a big glop and hit the bottom of the
oil pan before I could say "Robert is your father's brother."