Re: head bolts

To: Jon Paschke <JPASCHKE@bak.rr.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: head bolts
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:55:46 -0800
Jon
Experienced mechanics have told me that it is OK to change the rocker arms
without loosening the unaffected nuts and without replacing the head gasket.

However, you may not want to do that for a very different reason.  Once you
combine a cam with high lift, overlap, AND a set of high lift rockers, you
may run into a clearance problem with the top of the piston.  With this
combo you are supposed to remove the head, place some clay on the top of one
of the pistons, replace the head, adjust the rockers, and then rotate the
engine by hand one revolution.  Remove the head again and observe the
imprints in the clay.  if it is less than 15 thousands thick, the valves
will hit the pistons.  This may not be a problem on spridgets, but I know
that is the procedure for V-8's.

Also, the above combinations of cam & rockers can result in  valve spring
bind.  Again, just make sure that there is still some clearance when the cam
is at full lift.
David Riker
63 Falcon
70 Torino